Diabetes is caused primarily by dysfunction of the pancreas.
How can acupuncture help diabetic patients?
Scientific studies and clinical tests in international research centers in the past decade have shown that acupuncture can help diabetic patients in the following ways:
- lower blood glucose content;
- lower the release of pancreatic glucagons;
- attenuate symptoms of polyphagia (the urge to eat too much), polydipsia (excessive thirst) and polyuria (excessive passage of urine);
- prevent slowing of motor nerve conduction;
- improve microcirculation and myocardial contractility;
- enhance blood outflow and regulate vascular peripheral resistance;
- exert antiatherogenic, antioxidant and immunomodulating effects;
- obliterate antheroscelerosis of the legs;
- induce secretion of endogenous beta-endorphin;
- elevate a lowered pain threshold; and
- increase cell proliferation and neuropeptide Y levels.
Article is written by By Yin Lo, PhD
-An extract from Acupuncturetoday.com